OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jun 2011 21:53:49 -0400
Hi all,

Mississippi Kites have returned to Hocking County's Hide-A-Way Hills, and are once again nesting. The pair has reoccupied the same nest as last year, and is well into incubation. What's more, there is another pair present within the sprawling, forested Hide-A-Way Hills resort and they're probably nesting as well, although that nest has yet to be discovered.

Thanks to Elizabeth vanBalen Delphia for keeping tabs on the kites. She and her husband Michael own a place in Hide-A-Way Hills and found and brought these birds to light last year. It must be noted that Hide-A-Way Hills is a gated community and access is not possible unless you live there, or have explicit permission to enter from a resident.

In order to facilitate birders last year, Elizabeth and Michael graciously worked with the Hide-A-Way Hills administration and arranged a day on which interested birders could enter and see the kites. This "Kite Day" was held last August 21, and the 60-some people who made it were treated to unbelievable views of the birds, including the two begging juveniles being fed cicadas and other jumbo bugs by the adults.

We plan to hold another Kite Day this year, and it should be sometime in early to mid August when the youngsters are out of the nest yet still depending upon the adults for food. Kite Day will almost certainly be planned for a weekend day to facilitate the majority of schedules, and we'll provide as much notice as possible.

If you visit my blog at http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/ you'll see photos that Dane Adams took recently showing the birds on the nest, and you can read more details and see a synopsis and photos of last year's Kite Day.

Thanks very much to Elizabeth and Michael for working with us to allow access to the kites, which are truly one of our most spectacular raptors. More information will be forthcoming.

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like Nature? http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/