OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2011

Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 21:35:44 -0400
Well after two days of my family visiting, I bid them adieu and then got
my camera and started looking...make that listening for Dickcissels.  I
went yesterday over at Big Island WA with my dad and struck out...I
think that it was a matter of a windy day...nothing was calling.  So we
called it a birding day, and went classic/antique car looking instead.

Today, I went over to Hardin County to CH 215 and heard and saw them up
on the power lines at the corner of CH 63. I took a couple of shots, no
trees or anything so nothing eye catching.  So I continued down 215
heading down to TR 50 to try and find them there.   Right before
turning, I heard them over on TH 64.  It has lots of shrubs and stuff so
I was hoping that it would turn out better...it did! :-D

Inside of 30 minutes, I had all of the shots I could ever want with and
without sun shine, so I just sat back and listened for a while. :-D  One
thing I noticed was that the call here is different than any of the ones
I heard online...which would explain why I could never find them, I was
listening for the wrong thing.  It was close to the same thing at the
beginning of the call, but different at the end.  Gotta love it. :-D

All together about two dozen carolers.  Pics are here:

http://sjlarue.smugmug.com/Unsorted/OhioBirds/16108559_K6usy

Have a great week!

Steve J.