From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:54:02 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, Beth and I took advantage of an additional auto tour day at
Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge that was announced on short notice. We
decided to brave the predicted thunderstorms and high winds, and we were
glad we did. The weather was cold and nasty and there was intermittent rain,
but we got some good luck. Here¹s what we had at ONWR:

Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs
Dunlin
Wilson¹s Snipe
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Eastern Phoebe
Tree Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
American Robin
European Starling
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Brewer¹s Blackbird (there may be some doubt about this, but my memory is
strong of             females with dark eyes)
Rusty Blackbird
Common Grackle
House Sparrow

(What we missed, according to what we were told by birders in whom we have
very great confidence, was Dowitcher and Pectoral Sandpiper)

After Ottawa, we visited Magee Marsh and the boardwalk. There we had
(listing only the additions to our day, not birds we had already seen at
Ottawa):

Mallard
Bonaparte¹s Gull
Herring Gull
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush‹really, the boardwalk area was alive with Hermit Thrushes. On
days like             this you think about what migration means‹terrific!
Pine Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Eastern Towhee
Dark-eyed Junco

(There, the same other birders had also had Northern Parula)

And this morning (Sunday), we joined the first of the Traditional six-week
Sunday Audubon walks in northeast Ohio. We joined the Shaker Lakes walk,
where we also had a good morning. The birds we saw there were:

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Osprey
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper
Gull sp.
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue-headed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-Capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch

In all, if I¹m counting right, we had 67 species in all this weekend‹and a
lot of fun.

Best wishes to all,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Heights,