OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2012 22:13:03 -0400
During the past several weekends, The Conneaut Sandspit has been the productive birding hotspot it has been known to be over the years. We revisted The Sandspit this afternoon, Sunday, from 3:45PM to 6:15PM. What a difference from yesterday and the onslaught of birders coming to see the Snowy Plover, Ohio's first in seventeen years. Congratulations to Ashtabula County local birder Bob Krajeski for finding this one day wonder.  During our visit today, we unbelievably, saw no other birders. Today our highlight was an all white gull, slightly larger than a Herring Gull, with light pinkish legs. When in flight with the other gulls, all you had to do to see it, was look for the larger, all white thing of beauty. Could this be the same Glaucous Gull John Pogacnik reported yesterday morning in Lake County, flying east? Next stop Presque Isle! The probable Glaucous Gull was first seen early this morning by others along with a female Common Merganser with ten little ones in the bay, east of The Sandspit, on the rocks. She most likely nested up pristine Conneaut Creek. On recent weekends there have been at least 72 bird species recorded at the site. This includes no less than 20 species of shorebirds; memorable sightings for us have been: Wilson's Phalarope, Piping Plover, Black-bellied Plover, White-rumped Sandpiper, Ruddy Turnstone, Red Knot, Dunlin, Sanderling, and a late Pectoral Sandpiper yesterday. Pleasing the visitors has been no less than three Least Bitterns, along with Virginia Rail, and Green Herons. A Tri-colored Heron made a short stop on his way east, also to Presque Isle, and neighboring Pennsylvania. The Conneaut Mystery Gull, a small dark black-backed gull present for at least the past three weekends, has given gull enthusiasts an identification challenge. Adding raptor excitement are the numerous Bald Eagles, the occasional disruptive Peregrine Falcon, and the fun to watch Ospreys. An adventure to The Conneaut Sandspit never disappoints, something new and different can always be found to entertain a visiting birder. During peak migration, imagine what would and could be recorded if The Sandspit had birding eyes there all day long!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County (home to the sandspit = 95 miles one way)