OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2013

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 13:49:02 -0400
Adding another observation to the previous reports of Cooper's Hawk drowning techniques; an annual occurrence, first witnessed by us four years ago, in our backyard in Mahoning County, is that of the resident Cooper's Hawk snatching up a Red Squirrel; struggling with it because of the weight, and flying immediately to a shallow pool in the spring fed creek running thru our lower yard. It is about one hundred and fifty feet downhill for the hawk to traverse to the creek. It normally stands belly deep on top of the squirrel, for about ten minutes, until the drowning is a success. The hawk always takes its quarry to the same spot. Three times this year we have witnessed this unusual craziness in the natural world. Apparently the Cooper's Hawk is aware that the resident Gray Squirrels and Fox Squirrels are more than it can handle. The squirrels will actually taunt the hawk, seemingly showing no fear, by sitting next to it on the backyard split rail fence. Pretty cool how critters can be creative.

Bob and Denise Lane