OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2014

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2014 10:26:41 -0400
Grand River WA - Norton Ponds. At the end of Norton Road. Norton Rd is a few miles south of Rt 87 on Ohio Rt 45 in Trumbull County.

I very slowly worked my way around the first pond (30 minutes!) to the "T" in the trail. They were close to the near shore in the pond to the right, very close to me. While I was standing there taking pictures they took off and flew a big circle, landing waaaaay back to the north near the tree line. If you stand at the "T" in the trail, look straight ahead (north) to the tree line. That's where they appeared to land.

At the "T" look in the nearly dry pond to the left for a Spotted Sandpiper. This is a very 'birdy' spot as a check of eBird will show you.

A scope and bug repellent are a good idea (especially near the woods)!

Matt Valencic