OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2014

From:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2014 16:31:25 -0400
THANK YOU!!! We need to have a conservation hotline to let people know local issues ( not just birds) and keep us all in the loop to get turn out at important meetings. Any suggestions . LEAP is for landowners but I want to get individuals and conservation groups to band together. But we need to have a venue we can all go to. Would a conservation list serve be possible?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 5, 2014, at 1:25 PM, "bob hinkle" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to add a thought to the Geauga information/request based on
> more than 30 years in conservation education:
>
> Birders and most other enthusiasts tend to be introverts (with a few
> exceptions here!). They are by and large NOT the people to attend park
> board meetings and express their options/facts/feelings, or to
> (Heavens!) picket, protest of otherwise march in protest. And the new
> administrations/boards are counting on this. The adrenaline junkies that
> use nature for extreme sports don't care about "nature", nor do they
> even try to understand nature as you and I do.  It has simply become a
> place to hold their sport.
>
> A few think that this is good - it "gets new people into nature" but the
> silliness of that should be self-evident to most of us. They don't care
> about nature, but they're VOCAL and we're not. And that, unless WE
> CHANGE, will doom the peace and quiet, special natural places, habitats,
> and everything that we hold dear. Simply because we're not the kind of
> folks who express themselves in public.
>
> It's time to stand up. The mountain bikers are. The extreme sports
> people are. Express it or lose it folks.
>
> Bob Hinkle
> Solon, Ohio
>

> On 8/5/2014 11:03 AM, Haans Petruschke wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In general at local and country meetings, anyone may attend, but it is at
>> the discretion of the government body, if people other than residents are
>> allowed to participate in the discussion.
>>
>> Haans
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Nelson Mostow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Matt,  (or anyone else who would know)
>>>
>>>   I live near Geauga county and do a lot of birding in Geauga  but live in
>>> Cuyahoga County.  Do you have to be a Geauga county  resident to
>>> participate
>>> in the meetings?
>>>
>>> The implications of this go beyond what is decided in Geauga county.  I can
>>> see where this kind of activity happening in counties not only all across
>>> Ohio, but the entire country, so we as birders need to be involved.
>>>
>>> Nelson Mostow

>>> love....."( From a trail marker at Settler's Cove, near Ketchikan ,