From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2018 21:28:58 -0400
Good evening,

While birding Mentor Marsh Wake Robin boardwalk (Lake County) today with
Chia and Jerry, we had a very slender and light-colored shorebird fly over
going east. Jerry and I watched it continue flying east towards Corduroy
Road but lost it once it was below the tree line. We were unsure of the
identification, but Jerry suggested a Wilson's Phalarope and it seemed
reasonable. Sure enough, by luck (and Chia's good eyes), we re-found the
bird looking west into the marsh about 50-100 yards (the bird was moving
around a lot, foraging) while standing on the side of Corduroy Road. After
I personally struck out on this species two trips in a row in NW Ohio
recently, I was very pleased to get this bird as a world life bird in my
home county. This species was also Ray Hannikman's first for the Headlands
area, giving him 316 species total he has recorded over the years in
Mentor. Unfortunately, once seven of us had observed the bird, it flew much
further west into the marsh and as far as I know, it was not seen again.
Also, 14 species of warblers were observed in a very small area just at the
top of the hill that leads down to the Wake Robin boardwalk. A single Least
Bittern was observed from Corduroy Rd, as well as one Short-billed
Dowitcher.

Elsewhere in the state, Irina Shulgina found a Western Kingbird in Franklin
County (OSU livestock facilities) on the 17th, and it continued throughout
the 18th. Upland Sandpipers are also at this location.

The King Rail (originally reported by Rick Luehrs to the listserv) was
still observed in Greene County on the 18th at the Glass Farm in Yellow
Springs, as well as a bonus Red-necked Phalarope that dropped into the same
wetland yesterday (also still seen the 18th).

The Black-bellied Whistling-Duck originally found by Brian Wulker at
Fernald Nature Preserve in Hamilton County on April 17th was still observed
yesterday on May 17th.

The Red Crossbills continue to be seen around the Oak Openings Lodge in
Lucas County, even though Chia and I, unfortunately, struck out on the
17th.

Lastly, originally one Common Raven was observed at Poland Township Park in
Mahoning County by John Petruzzi on the 16th. Two birds were observed,
first by Denise Lane, then by Bob too, not long after the initial sighting
of the single bird by. This is just a mile and a half from the PA border,
as Bob describes in his eBird checklist.

--
Cole DiFabio