From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:22:43 -0700
I was at Evans L. from about 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM today.  Birds found were: ring-necked ducks, lesser scaups, buffleheads, red-breasted mergansers, RED-THROATED LOON, common loons, pied-billed grebes, horned grebes, RED-NECKED GREBE, WESTERN GREBE, 2 AM. WHITE PELICANS, 75 double-crested cormorants, Bonaparte's gulls, and Forster's tern.  The pelicans left late in the morning.  There were some fishing boats both there and at Pine L. today, which is very unusual for these lakes.  Friends w/connections I guess, and their presence was not conducive to birding.  A scope, time, and effort are all necessities to find the rare birds on the lake.  They are spending more time underwater feeding than on the surface, and move around freely.  At Pine L. today were buffleheads, red-breasted mergansers, 100+ ruddy ducks, pied-billed grebe, double-crested cormorants, great egret, osprey, n. flicker, and tree swallows.  Craig Holt, Lowellville