OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2011

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 20:18:12 -0500
This evening there was a Ross's-type goose at Pickerington Ponds Metro
Park, Franklin County.  This bird looked a lot like a Ross's at first
glance but it may actually be a hybrid.  In the fading evening light I
thought I could see a hint of a "grin" patch.  I could definitely see
that the interface of the bill base with the facial feathering was not
straight and vertical--there was noticeable curvature there with the
base of the bill being somewhat concave relative to the facial
feathering.  Something about the bird's head, neck, and bill
proportions did not appear as "cute" as pure Ross's usually seem.  I
would like to get another look at this bird in better light but at
this point I am leaning more towards a hybrid than towards a pure
Ross's Goose.

There was also a smattering of waterfowl and a bonus Short-eared Owl
buzzing the Wood Duck viewing blind.  I don't remember Short-eared
being reported here this winter so maybe this one is a migrant.

Good birding,

Dave Slager
Columbus, OH